NICARAGUA AT A GLANCE
Interesting Facts about this country:
Borders: Nicaragua is the largest Central American country with a surface area of 129,494 Sq.Km. (49,997 Sq. Mi.), making it slightly smaller than the state of New York. It borders Honduras to the north, Costa Rica to the south, the Pacific Ocean to the west, the Caribbean Sea to east.
Independence: Nicaragua won its independence from Spain in 1821 and established itself as an independent republic in 1838.
Population: Approximately 6.1 million.
Languages: Spanish (official), Miskito, English
Religion: Roman Catholic 45.9%, and Evangelical which has steadily increased to 30.8%.
Employment & Wages:
- Nicaragua the second poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere, Haiti being the country in first place.
- 75% Lives on less than $2 a day
- Average Income Comparison: 48,112 USA, $3812 Nicaragua
- According the Ministry of Education, there are over 500,000 children not in school.
- 21% of children leaves school in the first grade.
- 71% of children will not finish elementary school
- Average education level is 5.6 years—only 3.6 years in rural areas.